Ask the Expert
Have a financial question? Ask the experts!
Consolidated Credit’s executive director, Jeff Schwartz, is an expert in the financial industry with over 26 years of experience as a business and community leader. As the head of Consolidated Credit, a non-profit organization that has helped over 500,000 Canadians get out of debt, Jeff is well aware of the roots of financial trouble, and he also knows the best ways to get back on track.
In this section, Jeff answers questions from consumers just like you; real people with real financial problems. The answers and advice he provides below can give you valuable insight into your own issues.
If you have a question of your own and would like Jeff’s advice on best financial practices, e-mail AskJeff@ConsolidatedCredit.ca. Jeff will address your questions and post the answers right here, because if you are asking, chances are someone else is asking too!
Check out our “Ask the Expert” videos!
Questions for Jeff
- How much debt is too much debt?
- What's wrong with making only the minimum credit card payments?
- How can I minimize student debt?
- How do I choose the best credit card for me?
- How can I use my house to make money?
- How do I talk to my kids about money?
- How do debt consolidation programs work?
- What should I do with extra money?
- How can I avoid being the victim of identity theft?
- Any advice for a first time homebuyer?
- Do you have any advice for a first time car buyer?
- Is it wise to co-sign student lines of credit for your kids
- How can I kick my credit habit?
- Should I really be concerned about credit fraud?
- How do I build credit now that I'm on my own?
- What Do I Need to Do to Correct Errors on My Credit Report?
- How do I cut back on my grocery budget?
- Which debt solution do I really need?
- Should we downsize our home?
- Can I include Loans from family and friends in a DMP?
- What Do I Do If My Spouse Maxes Out a Secret Credit Card?
- Can we find a happy medium with different viewpoints?
- How Do I Book Flights without Credit Cards?
- Help! My husband gambled away our savings!
- How do I get a handle over my runaway debt?
- Can I get a summer job that will help me in the future?
- How do I handle the hidden cost of renting a new apartment?
- What's the best cure for a holiday debt hangover?
- How do I talk to my kids about budgeting – especially for things like the holidays?
- How do credit cards really work?
- How do I know if my credit is good?
- How do I develop a working household budget?
- How do I save money and avoid spending it?
- Is it even possible to have an inexpensive wedding?
- Raising kids is expensive! Can you help us budget better?
- Should I loan money to friends and family?
- How do I get through a long wedding season without debt?
- How do I make the most of my tax return this year?
- Tips for Raising Money-Savvy Kids
- When is it the right idea to move for work?
- 10 years to retirement – what can I do to make it happen?
- How do I quit my job without facing serious debt problems?
- Can Consolidated Credit help me rebuild my credit Score?
- What strategy should you use to save up for post-secondary education for twins?
- How can I turn spring cleaning into extra cash?
- Will I ever be able to pay off my student loans?
- Help! Please explain my credit score.
- How Can I Afford to be in My Friend's Wedding?
- How do I strike the right worklife balance?