Five fantastic gifts for $25 or less
(TORONTO, ON) — In case you forgot – Mother’s Day is this weekend. Sure, mom is probably the most special person in your life, and you’ll never forget the love and support. But maybe you forgot about Mother’s Day.
In today’s fast-paced world when free moments are at a premium, gift-shopping can often get left behind. Even Christmas, the biggest gift-giving season of the year, is victimized by procrastination – Moneris, a credit and debit transaction processor, says that December 23rd is the busiest shopping day of the year, year after year.
Jeff Schwartz, executive director of Consolidated Credit Counseling Services of Canada, has a stern warning for those partaking in the last-minute Mother’s Day madness.
“Last-minute shopping, with its evil partner ‘impulse spending,’ equals pure kryptonite for even the savviest shoppers,” says Scwhartz. “The last thing your mom wants is for you to blow senseless money on a thoughtless gift.”
“Surveys show that Canadians spend around $100 on Mother’s Day,” adds Schwartz. “If we could spend a quarter of that, and put the rest toward paying down credit card debt or building a savings account, we’d be in a lot better financial shape.”
The prospect of a $25 budget might sound limiting to some, but the team at Consolidated Credit has put together a shopping list of five fantastic gifts that will show mom you care:
- Personalized canvas wall art – Choose a great photo of you and your mom and covert it into a work of art by getting it printed on canvas to make a one-of-a-kind present. It’s a gift that will last a lifetime and will give your mom a smile every time she sees it. Prices at Blacks start at $19.99.
- Manicure – You don’t have to spend big bucks to pamper your mom. Full spa packages can cost a lot, but manicures offer a nice bit of luxury at a low price. Go into your local nail salon and you are likely to see a nail treatment gift certificate in the $20-25 dollar range.
- Bath and body kit – If you’d rather go for more of a full-body spa treatment, you can give mom the tools to do it at home. Bath and body kits often come with bath/shower gel and body butter that mom and pull out anytime she wants to indulge and relax – and no spa appointment is required. The Body Shop has gift sets starting at $25.
- Tea time – Immerse your mom in the world of gourmet loose tea leaves. Instead of taking her out for afternoon tea, buy her a gift set with multiple teas that she can enjoy day after day. Sample starter kits can be purchased for $20 at David’s Tea, and will help her get to know the wide variety of teas that are out there.
- Mind and body – Give your mom the gift of health and serenity by picking up a good quality yoga mat or DVD set. Yoga is a great exercise for all ages and fitness levels, and offers a healthy dose of mindfulness along with strength, flexibility, and cardio.
“For Mother’s Day, it certainly is the thought that counts,” notes Schwartz. “Think carefully about what your mom would truly appreciate, and it will be easy to find a happy medium between skimping and splurging.”